What we expect from Narrative submissions:
- We will accept novel excerpts if they are fully self-contained. We do not accept full novels.
- We encourage all genres and forms of prose: fiction, non-fiction, creative non-fiction, lyric essays, braided essays, literary fiction, and more.
- Though we will consider academic essays, genre fiction, or YA fiction, we generally skim these pieces.
- There is no minimum word count—we accept and encourage flash-fiction and six-word-story style prose.
- There is an approximate 8,000-word maximum. Be aware that, while we will not outright reject a piece without reading it if it goes a little over this limit, we are more likely to do so.
- Tipped submissions are your way of helping support Transcend - during FREE submission periods, tipped submissions are optional. This does not guarantee acceptance.
- General Feedback - The editors of Transcend will provide some general, actionable feedback regarding your submission(s). If selected for publication, the $5 fee will be refunded. This does not guarantee acceptance.
- Full Critique - The editors of Transcend will provide a full critique of 250-500 words minimum on your submission(s).
Note that these options can be combined, except for the General Feedback and Full Critique options. If you select both of those, you will be refunded $5 and we will give you a Full Critique.
The general response time from submission is approximately four (4) months. For legal stipulations, please refer to our website and the submission guidelines located at https://transcendlit.com/submissions. All submissions selected for publication will be expected to sign a contract, available on the aforementioned webpage.